Re: [dev] [wmii] New guide in hg

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 15:29:15 -0400

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 09:41:18AM +0200, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
>1.1 concepts
>under "Managed", maybe you could briefly mention tiled an stacked. (i
>know they are explained later on, but mentioning them could be useful)

Well, there's really no tiled mode, and I did briefly mention
stacking, but I suppose it could be clearer. I was trying to
keep the introduction as brief as possible, to fill out the broader
picture without muddying it with too many details.

>1.1.1
>I would add:
>The virtual filesystem is not persistent and is recreated everytime
>wmii is launched. You should programatically redo the changes you want
>to apply everytime you start wmii.

Yes, I tried to make that point, but it does confuse enough
people that I should definately make it clearer.

>2.1.1
>familiar to most "years" ?

Well, I definately need to read it over again. ;) I cought a few
of those mistakes already, and my only excuse is that I started
writing because I couldn't sleep.

>2.1.4 "sloppy focus" ? maybe add 'aka "focus follows mouse" '

Hm, I'd expect most users to be familiar with the sloppy focus
model if they're even looking at wmii. Sloppy focus and focus
follows mouse aren't quite the same thing (with focus follows
mouse consigning focus strictly to the window containing the
mouse).

>3. i always wondered how wmii parses/executes the "sh syntax" stuff,
>but maybe explaining the internals is not the goal of this document.

I intend on writing a separate chapter about the abstractions
used in the higher level scripts. The chapter on scripting an rc
in sh(1) is intended more to explain the interface and how one
might script it than to explain the stock rc. If you're curious,
though, it's pretty straightforward. If you change the line in
wmii.sh that starts with #cho to start with echo, you'll see the
generated code.

--
Kris Maglione
The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those