Re: [dev] Suckless (*NIX|*BSD) Distribution?

From: Jimmy Tang <jtang_AT_tchpc.tcd.ie>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:13:37 +0100

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:24:23AM +0200, Antoni Grzymala wrote:

> This is a common misconception that dates from years ago. Now the loud
> wannabe Gentoo ricer kids have all died out of boredom or got day jobs
> and Gentoo is happily used in production as a high quality distro with
> great management tools. And easily tunable for light dependencies on
> packages if that's what you need.
>
> You can get a usable system in an afternoon (autobuild stage3) where the
> installation is basically untarring the base system onto a fs and a
> little configuration of the likes of fstab and such is to be done. Then
> you build some X-tools, compile dwm and off you go.

this is probably the cause, that you can get a working system quick
enough. the speed up in modern machines probably really helps it along.

> I tried migrating my personal laptops to arch, debian and the like and
> always keep getting back to Gentoo. Debian is great, but so much less
> flexible than Gentoo, and Arch is fine when you get to use the basic
> (small) set of packages but venturing beyond that into the AUR is a
> *quality disaster*.
>
> You may not like Gentoo for other valid reasons, but what you write is
> sweet crap.

personally I like debian based distros if I were to be made to use linux
and everything is free and opensource. If I need a production machine to
deploy commercial or propietry codes and hardware (read infiniband
networking, fibre networking and management software etc...) I would
use RHEL or centos based distro. If I don't need linux, I'm kinda
partial to the openbsd of the bsd family :)

I guess use the right tool for the right job.

Jimmy

--
Jimmy Tang
Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,