Re: [dev] Suckless (*NIX|*BSD) Distribution?

From: Thomas Gallen <kaori.hinata_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:28:58 -0400

> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Thomas Gallen<kaori.hinata_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are you referring to manual installation of packages or using the
> > package management system to install packages in alternate locations? If
> > it's the latter:
>
> I develop software for a production system that is often lagging
> behind the mainstream. So, on my laptop and desktop I often have to
> build older versions of Python, Django, sqlite, etc., to match what's
> in production. To do that I just build custom versions of Python like
>
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/my/custom/location
>
> I've had issues with getting python-sqlite working on Gentoo though,
> with anything but the version packaged in the portage tree. The
> pysqlite2 developers weren't much help.

Has setting PYTHONPATH/the module search path not worked out when you
changed it? I think the search path precedence is current directory,
then PYTHONPATH, then the default module search path. If that's not
working then there's something strange happening there...

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/modules.html#the-module-search-path

> > If it's the former though, I've always just created a directory
> > somewhere as a sandbox and created a file in /etc/env.d to set up my
> > path, library locations, etc.
>
> I almost need multiple boxes to target each release I'm working on,
> but I can't afford that, so I have scripts to set up environment
> variables to pick the correct install of Python.

That's what I do. ^_^; Guilty as charged.