Re: [dev] Re: dwm development continues NOW

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:33:05 +0100

2009/6/22 Alexander Krylowsky <wing_AT_tversu.ru>

> On Sat, 2009-06-20 17:27:48 +0100, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> > An initial version of the new xinerama support is committed into hg,
> > it's not finished/polished yet, but the basics are usable already.
> > During the development I decided to have a bar per monitor, instead of
> > just one bar. It's less confusing that way.
> >
> > Monitors are currently selected through pressing Mod1-w, Mod1-e (just
> > two initial keybindings), and clients are assigned to the selected
> > monitor and can be re-assigned using Mod1-Shift-w, Mod1-Shift-e resp.
> >
> > There are several bugs still, esp. related to the floating handling
> > (it's currently possible to have a floating client assigned to a
> > monitor even if it's shown on a totally different monitor).
> >
> > The code will have a lot of polishing and some config.h options will
> > go away possibly... one candidate is topbar.
> >
> > Bug reports welcome.
> >
> > Please don't do code reviews yet, I know that it's ugly and needs polishing.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Anselm
>
>  Sounds good. But what about XrandR support in dwm? afaik, Xinerama is
> deprecated since 2008 in Xorg..
>  There were some pathes on dwm@ list to do this thing, but they're ugly.

Compare Xinerama(3) and Xrandr(3) on your own. Even if Xrandr does the
job nowadays internally in x.org, it's interface doesn't seem to be
appropriate enough to gather the current screen setup in a similiar
way as the Xinerama interface provides. So as long as Xrandr doesn't
provide a more convenient interface I'll stick to Xinerama, I don't
care if the X.org bunch considers Xinerama as deprecated. They can
consider what they want as long they want, but as long as they don't
provide a real replacement interface for Xinerama I can't be bothered
to deal with Xrandr.

Kind regards,
Anselm