Re: [dev] Conversation with Anselm R. Garbe of suckless.org

From: Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 17:31:13 -0700

On Thu 06 Aug 2009 at 16:52:39 PDT Samuel Baldwin wrote:
>I definitely enjoyed reading this; the principles were especially nice
>to have there.

Yes, I agree.

I hadn't seen the "Java is the COBOL of the future" quip before. Very
funny -- and, I believe, something that will be proven true.

I would add two more factors contributing to complexity:

(1) The obsession with code reuse and the proliferation of shared
libraries.

(2) IDE's that impose a certain philosophy and approach to programming,
and foster the *illusion* of simplicity through code generation and
other tricks. (Jack, I think you touched on this in one of your earlier
blog posts.)