Re: [dev] dwm: suckless way to monitor work hours

From: Niklas Koponen <niklas.koponen_AT_iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 13:21:57 +0300

Thinking is added on top of the time spent on the keyboard with the
factor of 1.3. The important information I get is how much time I've
spent by the keyboard and what files I have been editing, what sites
I've been surfing and how long the day has been from the first
interaction to the last.

It didn't matter that much when I was working as an employee in a big
company because it was quite easy to fill in the same amount of hours
every day, nobody actually cared what you did during the day.

At the moment I work as an entrepreneur and have a few customers. When
I send the bills at the end of the month it is easier to bill them the
right amount when I can grep some information on how much I've been
working on something and on what exactly.

I know it would be easier just to write the hours down at the end of
each day, but for me it seems to be an impossible habit. On top of
that lately I've been working a lot from home, so I might have longer
breaks when the children come home from school and so on. I guess I'll
add some information to the statusbar telling me how many euros I have
earned so far and how much is still missing from the monthly estimate
;-)

The end of this month will show if the tracking was worth it.

The xdotool worked as expected, thanks!

-Niklas