Re: [dev] A lightwieight and working typesetting system.

From: <hessiess_AT_hessiess.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:59:00 -0000 (UTC)

> I recommend type setting using HTML.
>
> For slideshows unfortunately only Opera properly supports the project
> media type.
>

> Here's an example:
> http://talks.webconverger.com/2009-02-14/

HTML is useless for document typesetting for a number of reasons:

-- Different browsers NEVER typeset or print the same.

-- Browsers are incapable of hyphenating words, justified text has massive
gaps in it.

-- HTML has no concept for pages, which makes it imposable to predict
formatting.

-- Browsers use verry basic line-based typesetting algorithms for
typesetting, which produces uneven formatting simmaler to word processors.
TeX's `paragraphs as wholes' method produce much better looking output.

-- Browsers are incapable of using ligatures and outher features provided
by preferential fonts.

-- There is no way of embedding fonts into a page, which means that you
have to rely on the font being readily available.

Personally I am not awere of anything capable of beating TeX for quality
of typesetting, or LaTeX for speedy structured document writing which
always formats exactly the same.

For presentations, my general answer has bean `avaoid like the plague',
and put up with OpenOffice and my mouse-related RSI.