Re: [dev] A lightwieight and working typesetting system.

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 10:20:39 +0200

[2009-09-05 08:29] hessiess_AT_hessiess.com <hessiess_AT_hessiess.com>

> [...] HTML NEVER prints the same from two
> different viewers. Generally the point of systems like TeX is you can
> garentee that a document will always look the same, regardless of if it
> was typeset now or 10 years in the future.

I know, this is a goal of typesetting. But is it neccessary to be so?
Wouldn't it be better if the document looks different in different
environments? E.g. multi-column layout in print, but single-column on
screen. Or serifs on paper, but no serifs on screen. [0] also focuses
on this point.

[0] http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/why-not-pdf.html

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of documents that never change
it's style. So I can create them exactly as I want them to be ... but
is this primary an artistic approach, where instead content should
receive the focus?

The main question: Can I provide more addon-value for content delivery
with a fixed presentation layout, than a reader gets from the ability
to adjust the presentation layout to his personal needs?

I'm undecided.

meillo