Re: [dev] Talk about sane web browsers

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 15:51:29 +0100

2009/9/8 Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Anselm R Garbe<garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> So you judge about things you believe you have superior clue about,
>> then go ahead and do us a favor and build a decent web browser that we
>> can all be happy with.
>
> Blah, blah, blah, irrelevant nonsequitour.
>
>> As I said very often to you: talking and discrediting things is
>> *simple*, but getting things done isn't.
>
> It might be 'simple', but still it has to be done, and nobody does it,
> everyone is too busy kissing each others asshole, so I do it, and if
> people get pissed and whinny at me for it, that is their problem.
>
> And you are the one here talking unjustified shit about Chrome when
> comparing it to clearly inferior designs, not me, you lost the
> technical argument, so now bring the stupid moralizing bullshit.

You should read again what I wrote, I didn't compare Chrome to actual
inferior designs, I compared it with a theoretical thin layer and the
pattern I'm using is: less code -> less bugs, less code -> higher
likelihood of better security, less code -> higher likelihood and
better performance. Also note that this pattern is not an absolutism
(as your judgements seem to be).

If you disagree with this, let me know.

> And if I wanted to rub salt into your wounds I could add that if it
> was not for my judgement you would still be programming in C++, using
> auto*hell, praising Object Oriented programming as the greatest
> invention in the history of programming, and god only knows what else.

That true, but it's also true that it was me that came up with dwm
after a while when you where still insisting to keep wmii going and
that a WM should have a 9P interface, editable tagbars and what not.
To put some pepper into these wounds, let's have some charts:

http://code.suckless.org/stats/dwm-sloc.png (now)
http://code.suckless.org/stats/wmii-3.6-sloc.png (when I stopped with wmii)
http://code.suckless.org/stats/wmii-sloc.png (now)

SLOC of wmi-10 (for the record):

SLOC Directory SLOC-by-Language (Sorted)
12952 src_top_dir cpp=12952
459 top_dir sh=459
28 examples sh=28
0 man (none)