Re: [dev] Talk about sane web browsers

From: Pinocchio <cchinopio_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 19:19:14 -0700

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 19:08:23 -0700, Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:13 AM, Pinocchio<cchinopio_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So, the only way is to get rid of the whole "Web" stack and to rewrite a
>>> "sane" one. This would mean:
>>> * defining a protocol that would play the role of HTTP,
>>
>> I don't think that would be necessary. HTTP is okay. HTML + Javascript is
>> the non-suckless part.
>
> If you think HTTP is 'okay', you have *no fucking clue about HTTP*.
>
> There is a reason the suckless.org http project never got anywhere:
> writting an http server (or client) sucks because the protocol is
> *insane*.
>
> One could define a mostly sane subset of HTTP, which is my goal with
> HTTP 0.2: http://http02.cat-v.org but it is not easy, because again
> the protocol is such a huge mess and there are tons of implementations
> out there all broken int heir own sick ways.
>
> uriel
>
> P.S.: People interested in working on HTTP 0.2 are welcome, I wont
> have the time or stomach to do it for some time...

You may want to consider that "suckless-ness" of a entity such as a protocol / standard / code / literature / philosophical thought / ideology may have more bits than 1. I would describe *my* state space for suckless-ness as a partial ordered set:

"For every suckless entity there exists another suckless entity which sucks 'more' than the first one."

I just want to (very humbly) suggest that HTML + Javascript >(sucks) HTTP/1.1.

Of course, your work on http 0.2 seems to be comprehensive. A suckless browser should attempt to incorporate http 0.2 once its ready for adoption. Did you think about adopting just a sane subset of HTTP/1.1 has HTTP 0.2 or did you find HTTP/1.1 _that_ broken?

--
Pinocchio