Re: [dev] Conversation with Anselm R. Garbe of suckless.org

From: Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:42:53 -0700

On Tue 15 Sep 2009 at 13:51:44 PDT Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 09:33:22PM +0200, markus schnalke wrote:
>> You have the separation in the operation system then. Single
>> independent programs take the place of classes. You can combine them
>> to larger programs.
>>

>Again I agree here but how is this accomplished? Through UNIX pipes? How
>do you transfer data between these programs? Do you use something like
>inter process communications? Sockets?

Yes, or something like 9P. (Beat you to it, Uriel!)

Does anyone nowadays still remember the lessons of the structured
programming paradigm that preceded OOD? It's amazing how well the Unix
approach exemplifies the structured design virtues of modularity,
decoupling, cohesion, etc. The OO stuff *tries* to achieve the same
virtuosity, but doesn't succeed nearly as well.