Re: [dev][surf] Next schedule?

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:15:21 +0200

Anselm R Garbe dixit (2009-09-16, 14:48):

> > I wonder if there is a schedule for the next developpment on surf. Is
> > it planned to add multi-tab support? If no, I guess I'll take a look
> > at the code and submit an ugly-but-functional patch.
>
> I think tab support in firefox/IE/chrome/Safari/Opera is just a ugly
> workaround due to the limitations present in floating desktop
> environments. Tab support is the WMs job -> use dwm and it'll work
> like a charm to use tags and layouts in conjunction with surf.

I usually have about 70 tabs open in Opera (and often lots more). Since
Operas tab manager is *specialized* for this number of fullscreen
windows it works well. I can easyli navigate those using single-letter
keystrokes.

This isn't possible or sensible in a wm which is designed for a somewhat
different purpose and with rather different number of clients in mind.

Stop this wm lunacy. dwm is just as limited for that purpose as is your
next non-tiling WIMP-based window manager. Opera's built-in wm is a good
workaround for that problem, I don't see in what way it is ugly (and it
works already).

--
[a]