Re: [dev][surf] Next schedule?

From: Pinocchio <cchinopio_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:25:24 -0700

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 02:37:23 -0700, Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/17/09, Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl> wrote:
>> Anselm R Garbe dixit (2009-09-17, 09:26):
>>
>> [...]
>>

> i recognised four ideas:
> * navigation: simple navigation and client management (ordering matters)
> * overview: list of icons, client names, for quick identification
> * grouping: manage a set of clients together (automatically)
> * persistency: get a group of clients back and running with the same state
>
> i don't see why this would not make sense outside the browser context,
> if it works for browsers then it should work for other similar
> applications so this is a general wm task.
>
> of course implementing this in general (outside the application) would
> be hard: we don't know what information should be stored persistently,
> which applications should be grouped and how to interact with the wm
> without interfering with the application (one key shortcuts)

Very interesting.

Navigation: I think ordering new tabs close to the current tab in opera / firefox is equivalent to creating additional windows with the same tags as currently visible in dwm.

Overview: Good point. Dwm currently doesn't help here :(.

Grouping: Should we automatically create additional tags on the basis of process name + few (configurable) arguments. That would group all xterms and surf instances together at the same time respecting user tags.

Persistency: Oh man... I would love this feature :). Is there a way to store tag information in the client windows?

--
Pinocchio