Re: [dev] Conversation with Anselm R. Garbe of suckless.org

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:46:35 +0200

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM, frederic <fdubois76_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Anticipating changes in the code is a generally a bad idea, because your
> predictions are likely to fail

This can't be repeated often enough. Your predictions are not likely
to fail, they are *bound to crumble in an epic implosion of pure
fail*.

Not falling into the pitfall of trying to anticipate future changes in
code is surprisingly *hard*.

The only way to fight against it is to keep your code as simple as
possible, and avoid any speculative code as if it had come from
between RMS's toes. Fortunately this turns out to be the best way to
make code easier to change later on!

Peace

uriel