Re: [dev] wmii: fullscreen window, new window becomes floating?

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:21:08 +0200

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 19:58:58 -0400
Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:09:10PM +0200, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> >Thanks Kris,
> >but:
> >if my current layout is fullscreen, why doesn't the new window become
> >fullscreen as well? (instead it takes up about 1/4th of my screen)
>
> I can't see a reason for the new window to be fullsceen unless
> it requests it. New windows in floating mode get whichever size
> they request. If you want them fullscreen, press Mod-f. I tend
> to open terminals over fullscreen windows fairly often, and the
> current arrangement works perfectly for me.

for me it's about what i (the user) want and expect, not the window.
if i'm working in fullscreen layout i do it because i like so (e.g.
because i want to be totally focused on 1 thing), and wish to continue
so.
just like when you're in stacked layout, when you spawn a new
window, it is also in stacked layout.

to make it worse, if the new window appears but is not fullscreen, you
can't use it to it's full potential, and the window behind it gets
pretty unusable as well too. (because you see only a part of it)

Surely you can do some keybinds to correct the situation but it would
be so more convenient to just have it do what i want right away.

> >what do i have to do to spawn new windows but have them not focused?
> >("almost" in your point 4) or keep the current window the top of the
> >stack, always? even when spawning new windows?
>
> Currently, new windows from an existing group aren't focused
> unless a window from that group is focused. Now that you mention
> it, though, I think I'll disable it before the next alpha. It
> seems to cause more trouble than it solves. Other than that, new
> windows (except for splash windows and docks) are always focused
> and raised.

I think this point and the issue above are subject to personal
taste and workflow. Why not make things like these configurable?
It would be pretty awesome to have more control over small details like
these.

Dieter