Re: [dev] Suckless word processing solution?

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 17:46:35 +0200

[2009-10-01 13:51] pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>

> * ved (visual mode for ed..like vim, but using ed, indent, etc.. that is
> reimplement the basics of visual text editor using ed and other
> scripts as backend)

vi is the visual mode for ed (for ex, to be exact). It can also invoke
arbitrary external programs.

Why reinvent the wheel?

> * format conversor (parses text and outputs formatted ps, pdf, html, txt)

You don't need pdf support as you can generate it from ps.

> I know that troff can do the trick of format processing, but I probably
> lack the
> knowledge of how to properly use it, but it will be nice if the troff
> gurus of the
> list can broadcast tips and macros.

What exactly is your question? Is it: How to get PS, PDF, TXT output?

Text output is generated by using `nroff'. `troff' generates an
intermediate format which can get converted to PS with `dpost'.
Run `ps2pdf' on PS to get PDF.

> About ved i prefer text mode, because my X environment is based on
> xterms, some
> of the local and some of them remote, and I dislike the idea of
> depending on graphical
> environments to get distracted on icons and fancy transparencies.
>
> Ncurses is an ugly library, but it is ported to many systems and not
> necessarily in
> text environments, so this can be the trick to process a text buffer in
> an efficient way.

So, what ist the difference of your ideas to what vi already offers? Or
take sam, if you want it more based on ed.

btw:

The common workflow is to first edit the source, then compile, and then
view the generated document, repeat. You can have this more in parallel
too:

Write a script that compiles your input automatically every time some
input files change (e.g. `latexmk' for latex). Run that script in
background.

Configure your PS viewer to reload automatically on input update.

Now make your editor and your PS viewer both visible ... and you'll see
changes shortly after each save.

meillo