Re: [dev] [st] goals / non-goals for st?

From: Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:44:04 +0200

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Richard Pöttler
<richard.poettler_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> The things I want from a terminal is utf-8 support. Or is that only a font
> problem?

The problem is that utf-8 strings contain multibyte characters. And as
of now, each byte read = a character on the screen.

> For me also speed and the scrollback buffer are important.

Characters are now drawn with XDrawImageString instead of XDrawString.
The drawing routine has also been optimized but I've not commited yet.
It's pretty fast so far (I'm using aafire to benchmark).

> What do you think about transparency? I think it might collide with the
> suckless-goal and decrease speed.

Transparency is useless.