Re: [dev] [st] goals / non-goals for st?

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:32:59 +0200

Kurt H Maier dixit (2009-10-09, 00:59):

> > All you people who are against transparency are like all those BSD
> > folk on Freenode who troll you for wanting a colorized ls output.

I don't see how a transparent (less readable) text area is relevant to a
colorized syntax-highlighted code or logfile (more readable).

> > Unbelievable.

Isn't it? I still stand by the transparent newspaper analogy. It is
truly ubelievable newspapers aren't printed on translucent foil yet. NZ
and Australian banks are a step closer to world happiness -- they
started printing their banknotes on plastic, so that you can see bits of
what's underneath when you lay them on a counter.

> I agree. How else do they expect me to see my half-naked anime ninja
> cat-girl wallpaper? I mean I know I can mousewheel the opacity down
> if I hover on the titlebar, but sometimes that's just too much work!
> Plus I can't afford the context-switching; that just slows down my dev
> work on my php-powered social networking project for school. Aside
> from that, I need to get *quick* access to my 800x600-pixel conky
> status display -- I like to manually type 'sync' just to watch the i/o
> number spike for a second. Anyway it's late and my mom just IMed me to
> go to bed, so I'll just fire this e-mail off and get psyched about the
> upcoming Windows 2000 release. It's a good thing I'm a teenager in
> the late nineties, because otherwise I sure would feel dumb for caring
> so much about wasteful stupid garbage like terminal transparency!

So true. Makes me *almost have to* think you've been through it all
yourself. :)

Best,

PS. Excuse two responses in a single post. To a greener future!

--
[a]