Re: [dev] clients with large min size

From: Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:05:27 +0100

2009/10/5 Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com>:
> there are some clients with large minimum size (eg gnome programs:
> gedit, evince (with side plane),..) which might cause problems:
> * tiling algorithm does not handle the case when the clients on the
> stack are larger than configured (it handles the case when they are
> smaller though, like xterm)
> * large clients on the stack might span across another monitor
> covering it partly (and mod+left click makes the client jump to the
> other monitor if its center is on the other monitor)
>
> i'm not sure if/how these cases should be handled gracefully

I agree these things are a problem, but more a problem through the
brokeness in the list of assumptions of the underlying apps. We
require that clients are not broken and must accept any size in order
to support tiling layout algorithms. For tile() in particular I always
preferred to keep it simple instead of trying to support these
corner-cases. Though it might be worth thinking if there is any
sensible solution -- a quick thought concludes we could pull clients
into floating when the resize() operation detects a size that isn't
acceptable (which will also reject the attempt to resize). What do you
think?

Not sure how many clients are affected though.

Kind regards,
Anselm