Re: [dev] Suckless mail client solution?

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:23:11 +0200

pancake dixit (2009-10-15, 20:17):

> Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> > following (n)mh in this respect, though I'd really appreciate having
> > some kind of mail dir pager, perhaps the relevant parts ripped from
> > mutt or written from scratch. I always found that the threading
> > display in mutt is excellent and I'd really think the basic mail
> > lister + previewer as an addition tool in the mh tool chain for
> > listing mails and threads would be nice, it's the only feature I'd
> > really miss and the only feature with a crappy curses dependency in
> > the toolchain ;)
> >

> I have always hated the threaded views..Well that's not true at all,
> few years ago I used to use them a lot, and yeah, mutt owns the best
> threading view (compared to thunderbird, claws..)
>
> But actually I dont find them useful or practical because they hide the
> timeline of the mailbox by strange trees of mails.
>
> What I would really find useful is a decent filtering system , but always
> keeping the timeline, which is in mail one of the most important things.

I use the S key to instantly switch between threaded and time-sorted
views in mutt:

### in muttrc:

# By default we want threaded sort
source ~/.mutt/sort-threads.rc

### sort-threads.rc:

set sort=threads
macro index S "<enter-command>source ~/.mutt/sort-date.rc<enter>"

### sort-date.rc:

set sort=date
macro index S "<enter-command>source ~/.mutt/sort-threads.rc<enter>"

--
[a]