Re: [dev] (x)HTML-based office suite? (aka suckless word processing solution-2)

From: Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 17:20:49 +0100

2009/10/18 Ilya Ilembitov <ilembitov_AT_yandex.ru>:
> Yes, you got it totally right. But why do you believe that html would be on par with proprietary formats? I mean, is there any possibility that html produced by markdown (or similar languages) interpreter won't be displayed correctly in most of browsers (including IE)? I thought it's basic and standartized enough. I do agree, though, that S5 is likely to have some issues.

The problem with HTML is that it's vagely defined and that it looks
different not only in every browser but also every 2 years (because
some mastermind came up with the next CSS and DOM features).

This doesn't happen with plain text, so if you ask me what's better:
HTML or Markdown, my answer should be clear. Plain text will look the
same in 100 years, but potentially there won't be any HTML4 or HTML5
browser around in 25 years time...

(as a side-note: If you use troff or TeX I bet you will get proper
results in a hundred years time as well).

Of course the sustainability argument isn't very important if it's
just about a presentation of the next great future technology that
will be obsolete in 5 years anyways. For such I recommend use HTML,
they will be a relict of their time anyways by then ;)

Kind regards,
Anselm