Re: [dev] [surf] next release

From: Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:17:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Anselm R Garbe wrote:

> 2009/10/21 Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com>:
>> (1) * removing urlbar/searchbar and using dmenu instead
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is so attractive, since dmenu does not support x paste
>> (without a patch) and one always finds oneself (or at least I do) cutting
>> and pasting into the searchbar.  The ultimate solution, it seems to me, is
>> to have dmenu support x paste in vanilla.  This strikes me as superior to an
>> "in-surf" solution (which uses GtkWhatever) for a number of reasons.
>>        (a) It keeps the code simple (on the surf side that is; dmenu will
>> need
>>        to change).
>>        (b) Other web-based activities (smart prefixes in particular)
>>        could benefit from a dmenu + x paste.  For example, I have a
>>        surf-googlesearch.sh script which runs dmenu after parsing my user
>> input
>>        from dmenu.  It would be nice to x paste into the dmenu rather than
>>        typing out a given google search (e.g.  when one is searching
>> someone's
>>        odd name.)
>>        (c) In general, I like the xprop interface and allowing applications
>> other
>>        than surf to interact with surf (which is what your new _SURF_FIND
>> feature
>>        allows--which is great--which is why we need dmenu to get patched!)
>
> There is sselp(1) at http://tools.suckless.org/sselp which reads
> current selection and prints it to stdout, hence enables you to
> integrate it into dmenu's cache or calling surf `sselp` directly.
> There shouldn't be a real need to paste something interactively into
> surf or dmenu really.
>
> Kind regards,
> Anselm

What about cases in which one wishes to both type a few words and then paste? For example, when I want
to do a smart prefix search (via dmenu) on Bob McCrue (who sits in my selection buffer) but I also
want to do something like "University of Wherever" + "Bob McCrue" where the first part is something
I type in by hand and the second part is something I want to just "paste" in? The same argument
could be launched with respect to the find feature (which now utilizes dmenu).

Or maybe you have something else in mind when you talk of "integrating into dmenu's cache"?

Peter