Re: [dev] [dmenu] Putting key combinations in config.h

From: Colin Shea <colin_AT_evaryont.me>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:44:33 -0400

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Peter John Hartman <
peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In light of the parallel discussion re surf and dmenu, I thought I'd open
> up
> the following suggestion: Can we put the various keybindings used in dmenu
> in config.h rather than dmenu.c? There is one case where I know this will
> prove useful, namely, the keybinding to close dmenu, which currently is
> XK_Escape. I launch dmenu with a keybinding to Shift_R and I like to be
> able to close dmenu with the same keystroke, i.e.\ Shift_R. But more
> generally most other suckless apps have the keybindings in config.h, so why
> not dmenu?
>
> Yours,
> Peter

And I already posted to the previous discussion before reading this, great.

As I stated, it would be better than a parameter passed to dmenu on the
command line.

While it would be excessive, could it also be possible to have the
keybindings change the options available, not the input? Thinking
something along the line of a dmenu-based clone of Google's
Suggestions feature. Being able to type something then have dynamic
results, rather than static. This would be a lot more complex I'd bet than
what Anselm suggested.