Re: [dev] [st] goals / non-goals for st?

From: Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:30:01 +0000

2009/10/29 Moritz Wilhelmy <crap_AT_wzff.de>:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 12:15:37PM +0200, Richard Pöttler wrote:
>> What do you think about transparency? I think it might collide with the
>> suckless-goal and decrease speed.
>
> Not only do they decrease speed and add lots of unneccessary lines of code
> but also transparency makes the content unreadable and disturbs from reading
> the window content.
> Example: http://xinutec.org/~pippijn/files/img/collection/why-transparency-is-evil.jpg
>
> So, I agree with uriel: transparency is for idiots.

When I was young I thought hey that looks cool (compared to the usual
terminals on Windows by that time). But when actually using it for a
while it hurts more and the coolness factor becomes obsolete sooner
than later. Perhaps the younger generation has better eyes and can
cope with it for a couple of years, but I haven't seen any serious
programmer that worked with translucent terminals very long...

Apart from that, all the other reasons (unnecessary complexity,
unnecessary cpu cycles, etc) are true and I agree.

Kind regards,
Anselm