Re: [dev] [st] goals / non-goals for st?

From: Moritz Wilhelmy <crap_AT_wzff.de>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 02:01:01 +0100

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 11:01:54PM +0100, frederic wrote:

> So sugar is evil, because if one eats too much of it, one may die.

> Often, drunk people seem to believe that other people are drunk.
>
> Do yourself a favour: stop calling others idiots.
>
>>> When I was young I thought hey that looks cool (compared to the usual
>>> terminals on Windows by that time). But when actually using it for a
>>> while it hurts more and the coolness factor becomes obsolete sooner
>>> than later. Perhaps the younger generation has better eyes and can
>>> cope with it for a couple of years, but I haven't seen any serious
>>> programmer that worked with translucent terminals very long...
>>>

> I think I'm not younger than you, and I have been working with
> translucent terminals for about ten years on a daily basis.
> I think the reason why I've been using them for so long is because I use
> them more for the aesthetics than for the coolness factor.
> Of course, my wallpaper doesn't show some lame anime character, insipid
> landscape or kickass-y car.
>
>>> Apart from that, all the other reasons (unnecessary complexity,
>>> unnecessary cpu cycles, etc) are true and I agree.
>>>

> I won't argue against that. Suckless software is nice, because it spares
> some resources on my machine, so I can use translucent terminals :)
>

>> If you need the transparency, there are compositing window managers
>> that will do perfect transparency for any application you would like
>> to.
>
> Not exactly. Last time I tried, a compositing manager makes transparent
> everything including writings, and performs true transparency. It is
> significantly less comfortable than pseudo-transparency done by terminals
> themselves. A comfortable translucent set up requires a accurate settings
> in order to balance correctly eye-candy and easy reading.

I doubt st will implement transparency for obvious reasons, so if you want
transparency use either $compositing_wm or another terminal.

I personally don't like transparent terminals and I don't think they add any-
thing to my coolness factor (and they aren't even for). If I'd like to impress
people with how cool linux is I would use KDE4 or gnome whatever.

This thread is about the features st should implement and transparency surely
is a thing that shouldn't be implemented by st, so we should probably abandon
this topic.

Best Regards
Moritz