Re: [dev] [st] goals / non-goals for st?

From: Aled Gest <himselfe_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 22:34:05 +0000

> I'm sure you could have a ton of field days, describing for hours all
> kinds of irrelevant crap.  Maybe you can read a book about adapting to
> different standards within different social groups instead of
> lecturing to people who don't care.  It's a mailing list.  Calling
> people stupid is not 'disproportionate aggression,' it's just calling
> stupid people stupid.  Sorry if your life has caused you to consider
> honesty 'aggressive.'

Perhaps in your eagerness to overreact you missed the point I was
making, so I'll simplify it for you:

Filling development threads with "you're an idiot" ... "no you"
detracts from the thread's ability to develop.

> Which extant terminal emulators behave the way your proposed
> functionality describes?

In terms of using pipes to communicate with other programs, all of
them. In terms of doing so without consuming a PTY or spawning a child
process, none that I know of.

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't develop new software because no
existing software does what we want? I've seen no strict definition
specifying how a terminal emulator must communicate with other
processes. Whether it acts like a host process spawning a child and
communicating through a PTY, or gets spawned as a child process itself
reading and writing directly through pipes, it's still a terminal
emulator.