Re: [dev] [st] goals / non-goals for st?

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 02:24:42 +0100

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> A feature I wouldn't mind seeing in st would be the ability to spawn
>> st as a direct endpoint to a pipe (not sure if that's already
>> possible?). This would allow st to be used as a quick popup to display
>> information, or as part of a multi-terminal application like an irc
>> client, without needing to spawn an extra shell or consume an extra
>> pty.
>
> You want your terminal emulator to replace xmessage?  Really?

Actually I think this a good idea, xmessage is awful, and the job of a
sane terminal is to display text, so a sane terminal should be able to
simply and elegantly replace xmessage. (In Plan 9 rio windows are used
to display text for example during the installer, a cool thing is that
you can actually dynamically update the text in another window from a
script.)

uriel