Re: [dev] [st] goals / non-goals for st?

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 02:37:24 +0100

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Aled Gest <himselfe_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well if you really want me to make a point about how people who are
>> needlessly belligerent on inappropriate threads are evidently
>> incompetent at life, that's fine. I could have a field day nitpicking
>> the psychology of people who overcompensate for their own inferiority
>> by directing disproportionate aggression towards hapless randoms who
>> dare to suggest naive ideas. I just think development threads are more
>> productive when socially inept morons aren't derailing conversations
>> with fruitless personal attacks. You understand the inherent pitfalls
>> of fallacious behavior right?
>
> I'm sure you could have a ton of field days, describing for hours all
> kinds of irrelevant crap.  Maybe you can read a book about adapting to
> different standards within different social groups instead of
> lecturing to people who don't care.  It's a mailing list.  Calling
> people stupid is not 'disproportionate aggression,' it's just calling
> stupid people stupid.  Sorry if your life has caused you to consider
> honesty 'aggressive.'

I disagree, there *is* "disproportionate aggression" in this list, I
at least try to be disproportionately "aggressive". There is nothing
wrong with this, it is exercising the most fundamental human right:
free speech. As for its purpose, I agree that in some cases it is
probably counter-productive, but that is for the "aggressive" person
to worry about, and I still think that in some cases it can be a
useful rhetorical technique to bring attention to something that might
pass unnoticed otherwise.

tl;dr: Being an asshole can be a good way to make a point. (Not to say
that I'm good at it, but I'm trying to improve my asshole-skills.)

>> No, I want a terminal emulator that can behave like a terminal
>> emulator. Last time I checked xmessage wasn't a terminal emulator.
>
> Which extant terminal emulators behave the way your proposed
> functionality describes?

I have no clue, but you wanted to use a program that behaves like
existing programs, why don't you use the existing programs?

Reading from stdin is a basic and fundamental Unix design, and should
be applied where it makes sense, I think it makes quite a bit of sense
here.

uriel