Re: [dev] [st] goals / non-goals for st?

From: A.J. Gardner <aaron.j.gardner_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:40:59 -0500

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Jessta <jessta_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/10/2009, Nils <ml_AT_n-sch.de> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 09:06:29PM -0400, Andrew Antle wrote:
>>> Because it's hilarious! Especially when Lamb Sandwich starts whining.
>>
>> It's nothing but arrogant, unfriendly and wannabe-elitist to talk like
>> this on a public mailing list.
>
> But totally hilarious.
> Most people don't like being told they are wrong, so challenging
> people to defend their ideas means they'll put more work in to making
> you understand their idea to try to make you change your mind.
> The more aggressive your challenge, the effort they'll put in to defence.
> It's a good way to discuss things with random people and this mailing
> list does it really well.

Some of the most morbidly fascinating highlights from this mailing
list: 1) some people respond enthusiastically and with great vitriol
to innocent-yet-ignorant comments, 2) they relentlessly pursue an
"ignorant" poster with pointless berating as if they'll convince
anyone of anything, 3) they defend this behavior as if it's actually
helpful, and 4) they have little to no concern for the wasted time of
the people who have to sift through their garbage to get to anything
relevant or helpful.

Yes, Uriel: we all have delete functionality. However, it's not the
responsibility of subscribers to waste their time deleting
non-dev-related emails. Just stop sending them.

It is my humble opinion that the [dev] mailing list contributors just
stick to [dev]-related topics. Please stop responding to emails as if
this is Reddit. Yes, we know--you've got something snarky to say,
someone hurt your feelings, you know things about stuff and feel
compelled to share, and everyone should conform to the way you think
about the world. But no one cares. So don't even bother sending that
email unless it's about development.

I subscribed so I could learn something about software development,
not about how badly some of you communicate.