[dev] [dwm] Re: SHCMD(cmd): this may be a stupid question, but...

From: Thayer Williams <thayerw_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:25:52 -0800

On Jan 06, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Thayer Williams <thayerw_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> What does this line do exactly?
>
> /* helper for spawning shell commands in the pre dwm-5.0 fashion */
> #define SHCMD(cmd) { .v = (const char*[]){ "/bin/sh", "-c", cmd, NULL } }
>
> I always assumed it was a way of launching applications without needing to
> define each application explicitly as a separate command, but the more I look
> at it, I'm thinking it's what actually defines the execution of the commands
> below it, for example *dmenucmd[] and *termcmd[]
>
> Is this about right?

I guess my first assumption was correct. Should have spent a bit more time
digging through the ML archives. In case anyone else has wondered about it,
the proper syntax for SHCMD is as follows:

{ MODKEY, XK_z, spawn, BASHCMD("commandname") },

PS: Sorry for omitting [dwm] in the original subject...old habits and all
that.