Re: [dev] include files should never include include files?

From: Anders Andersson <pipatron_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 01:18:32 +0100

> It's good to note that Apple has been putting lots of effort in to the
> llvm c compiler (clang) because it parsers header files much faster
> than gcc and the current way Apple does includes is to have one
> include file that includes everything else you'd ever need.
> Which is kind of insane.
>
> - jessta

I don't know about that, my Amiga compiler (SAS/C) could "precompile"
headerfiles, and they could be kept resident in RAM until next
compile. Even when loading all includes from disk was slow, having one
headerfile with all the includes would speed up things when this
method was in use.

Still. I've never seen the includefile parsing as a bottleneck,
compared to actually optimizing the code.

// pipe