Re: [dev] [OFFTOPIC] How to know the size of a process?

From: Premysl Hruby <dfenze_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 22:26:56 +0100

On (24/01/10 13:07), Charlie Kester wrote:
> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:07:14 -0800
> From: Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>
> To: dev_AT_suckless.org
> Subject: Re: [dev] [OFFTOPIC] How to know the size of a process?
>
> On Sun 24 Jan 2010 at 09:42:59 PST Premysl Hruby wrote:
> >
> >Btw, There's one issue with trying to get size of process -- shared
> >memory. To which process should it count? And how? Or count only
> >fraction for each of process using that shared memory ... Not easy. :-)
>
> If the shared library really is shared -- i.e., used by two or more
> programs that you are actually running -- then you can treat it as if it
> were part of the operating system.
>
> But in practice many so-called shared libraries aren't actually shared.
> If you never run more than one program that uses it, then you should
> count the library as part of that program.
>
> Many of the shared libraries circulating in the open source world are
> what I call vanity libraries. Their authors would like to think they're
> getting more widespread use, but in truth no one uses them but
> themselves.

Shared libraries are not the only shared memory, look for example at
dabases (postgres etc) which use enormous blocks of shared memory. Also,
you can't simply ignore the shared memory even in case of library, that
would highly underestimate your metering.

-Ph

--
Premysl "Anydot" Hruby, https://www.redrum.cz/
-