Re: [dev] [surf] projects with the same name

From: Pierre Chapuis <catwell_AT_archlinux.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:02:50 +0000

Le Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:40:08 +0100,
"Enno Boland (Gottox)" <gottox_AT_gmail.com> a écrit :

> - surf.sourceforge.net

Surf is indeed the standard name for functions that plot shaded
surfaces in visualisation software (think Matlab).

> In my opinion the name "surf" is just made for a project like this.
> And I want to stick with it.
>
> What do you think?

There is almost no way to avoid name conflicts in OSS projects, I think
it's the job of the packagers to take care of that in each
distribution. If they want to rename the binary to surf-browser or
suckless-surf, they can do it easily.

That being said, I guess suckless surf is more popular than the other
project, so it's that one that will be renamed in most cases.

If you want a "real world" example, I maintain the surf package in the
Arch Linux User Repository. The other project is packaged under the
name surf-ag. The two packages should conflict because they both
provide /usr/bin/surf but nobody ever complained about that, probably
because nobody ever tried to install both...

--
catwell