Re: [dev] [surf] projects with the same name

From: Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:45:50 +0000

2010/1/27 Simon Wesp <cassmodiah_AT_fedoraproject.org>:
> 2010/1/27 Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us>
>>
>> > - surf.sourceforge.net
>> That project seems dead anyways for 7 years.
>
>  No, this isn't correct. They haven't updatet their page, but the software
> is still alive.
>
>> > - and some other software, which isn't maintained anymore.
>> Who cares?
>>
>> > I want to discuss what you guys think about changing the name of
>> > suckless-surf or sticking with the name and give a shit about name
>> > conflicts.
>> Stick with the name. There is no other browser project called the
>> same, hence there is no reason to change it.
>
> Imho to ignore that conflict isn't the right way. I would prefer "first come
> first served". It's older and known software which is hosted at sourceforge,
> a known software-portal and distributed in mandriva and opensuse, which are
> known linux distributions.

If surf had just started it might be a different story, but there are
packages of surf already in some distributions and renaming it doesn't
really help now. The packages will remain in those distros as zombies
and overall the confusion will increase. Since surf is a web browser
it is distinct enough from those algebraic systems and other projects
sharing this name. Renaming a project is never a good idea if it has
got a significant userbase already. I did this mistake several times
in the past and do not recommend it. It might be a different story if
surf is a registered trademark of some browser product of a
third-party company to avoid a legal dispute, but that doesn't seem to
be the case.

Cheers,
Anselm