[dev] [surf] Dependency on modifier keys

From: Sean Whitton <sean_AT_silentflame.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:06:49 +0000

Hi,

I am getting very tired of Firefox taking forever to start up, eating my
ram and slowing my machine down, so, since I already use dwm, I am
considering switching to surf. I tried modifying config.h to remove the
need to hit a modifier (control by default) before every command: it
seems to me to make more sense to just be able to scroll with j and k
without having to hold down another key.

But of course, as I quickly discovered, this doesn't work, as one then
loses the ability to type j and k into text boxes, which is pretty dire.

I don't know GDK. Does it have the capability to tell surf when a
textbox has focus, and then a patch could detect this, and turn off
command keys until the box loses focus/escape is hit?

Sean Whitton / <sean_AT_silentflame.com>
OpenPGP KeyID: 0x3B6D411B
http://seanwhitton.com/