Re: [dev] simple portscanner

From: James PIC <jamespic_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:58:36 +0100

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM, anonymous <aim0shei_AT_lavabit.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 11:46:36AM -0500, Ray Kohler wrote:
>> >>

>> > I agree. What should be done to place it into the public domain?
>> > Will adding of "/* Public Domain */" into every source file be enough?
>>
>> Some parts of the world (I think DE is one of them) don't recognize
>> the phrase "public domain" to mean anything in particular, so you have
>> to write what you mean it to say. Something like "This software is in
>> the public domain. That means that you can ..."
>>
> Here is a comment from SQLite 3 source code:
> ** The author disclaims copyright to this source code.  In place of
> ** a legal notice, here is a blessing:
> **
> **    May you do good and not evil.
> **    May you find forgiveness for yourself and forgive others.
> **    May you share freely, never taking more than you give.
>
> expr.c from OpenBSD uses just
> /* Public Domain */
>
> pdksh has file LEGAL with this:
> "
> pdksh is provided AS IS, with NO WARRANTY, either expressed or implied.
>
> The vast majority of the code that makes pdksh is in the public domain.
> "
>
> Here is what I have just found also: http://unlicense.org/. Probably
> this is a good instruction for placing software into the public domain.

Our lawyer convinced me to stop releasing under WTFPL, because it
doesn't prevent some evil bastard to re license my sources and prevent
me from even using it.

But that's the real world where people actually do care about licenses :)

--
http://jamespic.com/contact
Customer is king - Le client est roi - El cliente es rei.