Re: [dev] [wmii] Reproducible crashes with "dead" windows

From: Suraj Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:43:03 -0800

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Tom Kazimiers <tom_AT_voodoo-arts.net> wrote:
>> I will add error checking, to detect a missing "label" section, right
>> at the beginning when the status bar applet is initialized.
>
> That would be great. Improvements in robustness are most of tho time a
> good thing.

Done:

http://github.com/sunaku/wmiirc/commit/84c268c427d146b8e8b7297e90ba6e4db152b759

>> 7. Run the gdb commands on the core dump file.
>
> if I understand the output correct, wmii is not the problem:
>
> Core was generated by `/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin
> --plugin /usr/lib/flashplugin-'.
>
> I hate the Adobe flash player

:-)

> I don't know what the gdb means for my problem (I even had
> flash not running). Like I said before: It is reproducable by having a
> window in moving (grab/pan?) mode (so they are floating) while closing
> it.

I am able to reproduce this by opening an xterm in the floating area,
running "sleep 3; exit" command in the xterm, then grabbing it and
moving it around. After 3 seconds, the xterm body disappears, leaving
behind the window manager decorations and a solid window body.

This zombie client remains in the floating area. If I right click its
title bar and choose "kill", nothing happens. If I choose "slay", wmii
crashes (core dumped) just as Tom described.

You should file this as a bug on the wmii issues tracker:
http://code.google.com/p/wmii/issues/list

>>> E, [2010-02-17T02:08:29.687682 #31728] ERROR -- : Broken pipe (Errno::EPIPE)
>>
>> This is a harmless error, which says that wmii abruptly closed the 9P
>> socket through which it and Rumai communicate.
>
> Oh, ok thanks. But this also sounds not very common or "good", but maybe
> I'm wrong.

Yeah, it's uncommon, but nothing to worry about. Just ignore it. :-)