Re: [dev] HG and python

From: Sylvain BERTRAND <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:02:29 +0100

> There's always git, the core of which is written in C, but some
> scripts are perl.

perl support is disabled in my git build. But perl removal is somewhat
trickier than python because of the GNU autotools. The real todo list for perl is
GNU autotools removal or/and basic GNU makefile. I tried that on ncurses
but it appeared to be a monstruous code generator, so GNU autotools
removal needs a lot a work here: I thought to generate one version of the
source, make a GNU makefile for it and trash the rest.
I'm scared when I think about gcc and binutils.

> And for the bloat: Git is sometimes percieved as somewhat more bloated
> (>100 little tools instead of 1 like hg) - that depends on the point
> of view.

Still, git <<<<< hg+python.

One other thing is to port X11 code to libxcb instead of libX11... but
one thing at a time.