Re: [dev] [sw] Suckless web-framework

From: anonymous <aim0shei_AT_lavabit.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 18:30:51 +0400

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 10:05:09PM +0100, twfb wrote:
> On 21:26 Tue 06 Apr, Claudio M. Alessi wrote:
> Well crafted index pages combined with breadcrumbs can create very
> usable websites, even when they are quite large. It is also useful in
> printed documents as it shows where the document can be found. Skipping
> the sidebar can also avoid the curious Werc issue that result in the
> same stuff being repeated in the body and the sidebar.

Breadcrumbs should be a feature of browser, not site. Navigation
(interface, not links like '..') is not a part of file system, it is
part of file manager or shell.

Even if your articles contain navigation, I think navigation elements
should be hidden with CSS or at least "printable version". No matter
how minimalistic they are. Printed articles and reports never contain
navigation information, why articles from web should?

> The trouble is the automation, an index page with only a simple list of
> subfolders is rarely enough. You need to add some further information
> with the links. Perhaps the first line in the md file can be appended
> behind the file/dir link in the index list? If a index.md file is
> present it overrides the lazy automated index.

If you don't put navigation into every article of your website, you don't
need automation. You can create index.html with names of articles in
every directory, it is enough. It was enough for filesystems and FTP
sites (INDEX file) for years.

And another example of simple website (except wiki):
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/index.html