[dev] stali and OpenBSD userland etc.

From: finkler <finkler_AT_officinamentis.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 13:13:08 +0200

Hej there.

I am eagerly anticipating advances in stali, and since updates are
scarce I started to investigate in different matters of this kind and
started to play with my humble attempt to create such a distro myself,
just for fun.
I read that the userland of stali is OpenBSD derived, I took the OBSD
userland and made some analysis.

Comparing these things to the GNU core utilities this is what can be
found in OBSD:
arch
basename
cat
chmod
chroot
comm
cp
csplit
cut
date
dd
df
dirname
du
echo
env
expand
expr
false
fmt
fold
head
id
join
ln
logname
ls
mkdir
mknod
mktemp
mv
nice
nohup
paste
pr
printenv
printf
pwd
readlink
rm
rmdir
sleep
sort
split
stat
stty
su
sync
tail
tee
test
touch
tr
true
tsort
tty
uname
unexpand
uniq
users
wc
who
yes

And this is what is missing in OBSD:
base64
chcon
chgrp
chown
cksum
dir
dircolors
factor
groups
hostid
install
link
md5sum
mkfifo
nl
od
pathchk
pinky
ptx
runcon
seq
sha1sum
shred
shuf
sorted
sum
tac
timeout
truncate
unlink
uptime
vdir
whoami

There is some redundancy involved, e.g. mkfifo vs. mknod FILE q; arch
vs. uname -m, etc.
If we assume awk, sed, and grep to be present, head, nl, etc. could be
omitted as well.

My question is, what would you omit and why? For those who are missing
in OBSD but should be added, I thought about rewriting those tools OBSD
style, is this a good idea?

regards and thank you for your time,
Thomas