[dev] SDL fullscreen problems in dwm

From: Thomas Spurden <thomas_AT_ado.is-a-geek.net>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 08:27:14 +0100

I have recently being playing a few games that use SDL to get a
full-screen window. This causes some problems with dwm. These have
been discussed before on the list, but have always assumed is was simply
a problem with SDL assuming a reparenting WM. I came across a post on
the awesome mailing list which pointed me to a bug[1] in their issue
tracker; basically at least part of the problem is the fact that awesome
"restarts" when the screen resolution is changed. This seems to be the
behavior I am seeing in dwm.

I had some success running World of Goo (which sets the resolution to
800x600 by default) in monocle mode, however any other stacking mode
required a switch to a VT and killing the game (black window covering
most of the screen, mouse & keyboard input grabbed). If I set the game
resolution to my current resolution (1920x1200) the game starts and
plays fine in any stacking mode.

As I see it the problem is this: dwm receives a ConfigureNotify on the
root window with a new size (new screen resolution), this then calls
updategeom, which causes some problem with the game. I'm not familiar
enough with X11 programming to tell exactly what the problem is, but it
seems that this is the root of it to me.

Does this seem a reasonable explanation? If so is there anything that
can be changed in dwm to support full-screen SDL applications at
non-current resolutions?

[1] http://awesome.naquadah.org/bugs/index.php?do=details&task_id=717

--
Thomas Spurden