Re: [dev] [wmii] Anyone use regex tags for clients?

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 10:27:29 -0400

On Fri, 21 May 2010 09:11:01 -0500
Nathan Neff <nathan.neff_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> I just started reading the wmii pdf
> (http://wmii.googlecode.com/hg/doc/wmii.pdf),
> and found the feature where you can tag a client with /foo/, and the
> client will then show up on any tag with "foo" in it.
>
> Sounds interesting -- I'd like to hear from anyone who uses this
> feature.

I rarely use it myself. I mainly added it as a more flexible form of
“sticky” clients. There are a few uses I can think of for them, but I
think they're mainly useful for people who use category tags. For
instance, if you used gimp a lot you might have tags like
gimp:project-1, gimp:project-1, and tag the gimp toolbox windows
with /gimp/ so it's available on all those tags. The same would apply
for, say, an IDE. The other example I've come across fairly often
involves things like panels and status bars. Generally they appear on
all tags. There are probably certain times you'd prefer not to see
them, though, such as when you're reading, writing, or working on
something that needs a lot of screen real estate, so you might give it
a tag like +/./-/books|mail|tex/.

--
Kris Maglione
It is a farce to call any being virtuous whose virtues do not result