Re: [dev] dmenu_path rewrite in C

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 12:18:57 +0200

pancake dixit (2010-05-19, 16:15):

> On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:11:15 +0300
> Elmo Todurov <todurov_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > So you can define a single buffer of this size to strcpy/memcpy/strcat the
> > > paths you need to construct the executable paths you need.
> > >
> > > this will reduce the heap usage a lot.
> >
> > This approach would also add complexity. I would guess that disk IO is
> > the limiting factor to the speed, not malloc.
>
> and filesystem. in reiser there's some lag on first acceses.

I've noticed that reiserfs has an extremely annoying lag on directory
reads (on cold cache, of course) which was the reason I dumped the
filesystem years ago. Annoyed just that little bit too much in
interactive work.

(FYI I later moved to JFS which I found to be the best allrounder until
I discovered some unpleasant bugs and only a single semi-active
developer, which luckily coincided with works on ext4 getting finished
and now I'm generally happy with that.)

--
[a]