Re: [dev] [wmii] problem with wmiir xwrite /client/$client/ctl kill

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 20:44:17 -0400

On Thu, 27 May 2010 20:33:42 +0200
Thomas Dean <78abc_AT_web.de> wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 14:22:27 -0400, Kris Maglione wrote:
> > > With that the script already dies as soon as the fetchmaillog
> > > window opens :-) Given that this seems to be a problem of dash,
> > > maybe I should file a Debian bug report...
> >
> > That would probably be a good idea, if you can come up with a good
> > test case.
>
> The simplest idea,
>
> dash -c 'while true; do xterm & sleep 10; done'
>
> unfortunately does not die when I kill the xterm. But I will look into
> it, reducing the script I have as much as possible.

For what it's worth, I've sent a report to the dash mailing list. The
offending revision is 3800d4934391b144:[JOBS] Fix dowait signal race

This means that the bug was introduced just after 0.5.5.1 and first
showed up in 0.5.6, so if you can revert to some prior version, you
should be golden.

The test case is:
#!/bin/dash
{
        echo foo
        sleep 1
        echo foo
        echo done>/dev/tty
} | while read p; do
        ( echo good & ) &
done
echo done

--
Kris Maglione
Please don't fall into the trap of believing that I am terribly