Re: [dev] Fwd: OT:GUI wireless connections management?

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 19:34:46 -0400

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 03:01:24AM +0400, Ilya Ilembitov wrote:
>The current options that I am aware of:
>
>1. Networkmanager - ties a lot of dependencies and is not quite stable

I've never been able to get it to work, and it didn't really
even seem like a good idea, to begin with.

>2. wicd - has a ncurses flavour, I'll probably give it a try.

This is what I use. It has some warts, but it's lightweight and
works pretty well. I've never used the curses flavor, but
there's a pure commandline client which works rather nicely and
a fairly lightweight gtk client.

>Any other options? I was hoping that someone has already come
>up with a custom solution that would integrate into dwm/dmenu
>environment nicely.

The wicd commandline client would integrate with dwm nicely. I
wouldn't necessarily recommend a purely custom solution, but I
used to do the wpa-supplicant configuration manually and switch
between profiles with scripts. It's not that difficult.

--
Kris Maglione
A plumber has around eight years training in the US. That's to fix my