Re: [dev] Fwd: OT:GUI wireless connections management?

From: Nibble <nibble.ds_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 12:18:44 +0200

On Sun, 30 May 2010 04:57:42 +0000
bjartur <svartman95_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> iw has a scan subcommand
> which lists the type of encryption as well as the SSID and connection
> strength but it's quite verbose (by default at least). This isn't
> perfect so I'm open to suggestions as well.

I use a little perl script (20 LOC) I wrote some time ago using
iwconfig as backend. It outputs a human readable list of the available
networks sorted by signal quality. With the flag -d you can specify an
BSSID (or part of) to get detailed info about that network.

If somebody wants to give it a shot, is in my toys repository:
http://nibble.develsec.org/hg/toys/file/4bd5f258b429/wifiscan

I personally use this script + iwconfig + ifconfig/dhclient. And some sh
scripts to connect to my usual networks.

Kind regards,
-- nibble