Re: [dev] Tiling windowmanager workflow (Was: [dvtm] Fibonacci layout patch)

From: Alexander Teinum <ateinum_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:34:08 +0200

Wow.

I actually prefer cycling between the applications that I work with,
and I was going to create an alt+tab patch to give it the traditional
alt+tab behavior. Now I don’t have to. Thanks!

I think I’m going to keep all the clients that I work with in one tab.
Spotify, background processes etc. can stay in one of the other tabs.

What is a minor annoyance for me is how the “m”-mode in dwm is
implemented. The clients that aren’t in focus are visible underneath
the focused window. At least I think that’s how it’s done, since I can
see Chromium at the bottom of urxvtc.

alt+j, alt+k, alt+l, and alt+; is a bit more comfortable for me if I
need to change between tags often since they’re in the home row, but
they destroy the nice dwm keyboard shortcuts. Now that I use the
fullscreen-mode that you suggested, I don’t switch that often, so it
might make sense to use the F-keys.

One thing that might be a bit off-topic, but I have been thinking
about the placement of the left alt-key lately. I have caps lock
mapped as control, and I only use the caps key and the left alt for
controlling stuff – i.e. I don’t care about the Windows- or the
Fn-key, or anything to the left of the left alt. I have observed that
both of my thumbs rest on the space key, but I only hit space with the
right thumb. What would make the keyboard more ergonomic for my use
was if half of the space key was an alt key. What a waste of space
(pun) the way that it is now. I have to move my thumb 2–3 cm into an
awkward position every time that I want to press alt – which is
something that I do very often. Imagine doing alt+j and alt+k without
moving the thumb…

--
Best regards,
Alexander Teinum