Re: [dev] Re: [ANN] wmii 3.9.1 released

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 14:14:12 -0400

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 07:49:50PM +0200, David Engster wrote:
>Kris Maglione writes:
>> I'm releasing wmii 3.9.1, mainly to deal with bugs which have cropped
>> up in the latest glibc and dash releases, breaking wmiir and wmiirc
>> respectively.
>
>Thank you.
>
>I noticed a problem on a machine at work running Ubuntu, essentially due
>to this construction in the event loop:
>
>wmiir read /event | awk '/./ { print; fflush() } END { print "" }'
>
>It seems Ubuntu installs 'mawk' for providing 'awk', which by default
>buffers its input, so the above won't do anything. Ubuntu users will
>have to install 'original-awk' and symlink/rename that to awk, or - even
>worse - use some obscure '-W interactive' option from mawk in the above
>line.

I really do hate mawk with a passion. It's given me trouble before
by resolutely freezing given the right script.

Are you sure that input buffering is the problem? Usually, in cases
like this, input buffers are flushed as soon as a newline is read. I
rather suspect that it's the fflush call that's the problem. Perhaps
fflush("") would do the job.

--
Kris Maglione
Don't surrender your loneliness / So quickly.  / Let it cut more