Re: [dev] Tiling windowmanager workflow (Was: [dvtm] Fibonacci layout patch)

From: Sean Whitton <sean_AT_silentflame.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:27:41 +0100

Dunno how interesting this will be...

I've recently made some changes to my workflow since I've switched a
number of hefty GUI applications for CLI ones, the advantage being that
they tile a lot better and so don't need dedicated tags. But I'm still
far from comfortable. A key problem is that one of my newest apps,
wyrd, dies if it ever goes below 80 columns wide, which is a pain if you
accidentally switch it out of master in tiled or bstack on my
1280px-wide screen.

So:
Tags 1, 2, 7, 8 & 9 are tiled layout tags for normal usage.
3 is called www and is tabbed + surf in bstack layout, so I can open
  download terminals or wahtever without losing the page width
  (attachabove also in play)
4 is com and is e-mail, calendar and a terminal for running
  taskwarrior.org's excellent task list application. So, organisation.
5 is net and is cortex for reddit (when it works, which is not so
  often), two Irssis for identi.ca/twitter and IRC, my RSS reader and
  also ncmpcc - it's my "fun" perma tag in the sense that 4 is my less
  fun one
6 is ful and is where fullscreen stuff is set to go, and floating apps -
  gimp, wine and my PDF reader. At the moment when I hit :w in vim when
  editing LaTeX, it gets compiled and refreshed in a PDF viewer in this
  tag. This is good, and the tag starts up in monocle mode, but if I
  have more than one LaTeX doc open at once it starts to get less
  useful.

I want to make more of use of having more than one tag selected at once,
and having windows on more than one tag etc., but I don't really have
useful bindings for it. I am thinking I might get some shortcuts to
pull in my fullscreen tag into others, when for example I am working
with LaTeX, which I do a lot.

Sean Whitton / <sean_AT_silentflame.com>
OpenPGP KeyID: 0x3B6D411B
http://seanwhitton.com/