Re: [dev] Interesting post about X11

From: Will Light <visinin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 18:04:26 -0700

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:34 AM, David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:56 AM, Will Light <visinin_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>>  but the notion of a browser-based terminal
>> for a local machine just seems ridiculous...and that's a mild example!
>>  a browser-based music sequencer or video editor, for example, is so
>> far off that it's just impractical.
>
> Just to provide some context: this probably isn't the fully featured
> video editor that you were talking about, and it appears not to use
> NaCl but do everything remotely, but clearly a web-based video editor
> exists:
>
> http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2010/06/youtube-video-editor.html

yeah, I'm aware that the stuff exists. just earlier today I was doing
quite a bit of fiddling around with the current version of audiotool
(http://www.audiotool.com/), and it's pretty cool. the potential is
definitely there, but the point I'm trying to make is that these
things are constantly playing catch-up. the feature set that these
browser-based apps are seeking to duplicate is the sort of stuff that
was novel, say...10 years ago, but it's nothing groundbreaking from
the standpoint of a professional music producer. perhaps these apps
will end up replacing the entry-level stuff like garageband or iMovie,
but I think they will be hard-pressed to unseat Cubase, ProTools, or
even newcomers like REAPER.

-w